AnandTech Article Channel

Thursday, December 9, 2010

HTC Desire Z LCD Problem Update

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I returned my Desire Z because of a very strange problem with the LCD. Well my friendly neighborhood phone shop had it replaced immediately and I have had my phone for over a week now.
Of course the very first thing I did at the phone shop was to inspect the screen closely. Actually the easiest way to check the screen is to first of all make sure that the display is off. Then take a powerful flashlight, like an LED flashlight and inspect the underlying membrane. The problem in my first phone resembled window film with bubbles under. When discussing it with the phone shop owner, we both agreed that it may have been due to an improper mating of screen layers. Anyway the good news is that the replacement unit had no such problems. However I do want to share that the underlying layer in the LCD screen had a sort of pattern on the surface as opposed to the screens of my other phones which were smooth is. The appearance is like how grainy high ISO black and white photos might look like but the important thing to me is that there are no blemishes and no visible dust particles under the screen.
This particular unit had the hinge which felt looser compared to the first one, but given the assurances of HTC that it was their intent in the first place to make the hinge relatively loose to facilitate opening and closing, I will put this matter on my "check in six months time" list.
So except for these issues, I am happy with my decision to get the Desire Z over my other choices. It is very convenient to have a hardware QWERTY keyboard to type out lengthy SMS replies and e-mails so I have absolutely no regrets. Let me say though that the observations about the Desire Z being a heavy phone are quite correct. It's even heavier than my HD2 which is a heavy phone to begin with.
Having said that, between my smart phones and my net book I am pretty much well-equipped to handle just about anything business related I might need to do technology wise, while I am on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your comments on the post.

Android and Me

Android Tapp

TechRadar: All latest feeds

GSMArena.com - Latest articles

GigaOM — Tech News, Analysis and Trends

Android Phone Fans

Phone Scoop - Latest News

IntoMobile - Cell Phone News, Information, and Analysis

MobileBurn.com

All About Symbian - News

Engadget

Gizmodo