AnandTech Article Channel

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Desire Firmware Update: Some subtle changes

After tinkering with my Desire these past few days, here is what I observed. Please note that some of these changes are subjective and I have no way of verifying since I did not set an objective baseline before updating.

  • The phone appears to be much snappier overall. In fact, it made me much more aware of the lag on my Samsung Galaxy S.
  • The signal problems I mentioned earlier seem to have disappeared. However I must point out that it might have been a network problem because my HD2 was having signal problems the other day also.
  • Having said that, I did notice that the wifi signal is exemplary. Again it puts my Galaxy S to shame.
  • Battery life seems to have improved. Usually using mobile networks will render the phone usable for barely 1 day. I used the networks yesterday for a couple of hours, then the wifi and did a lot of talking on the phone. It's been up for 1 day and 15 hours and I still have 15% battery life.
  • According to HTC, market received an update and I noticed what appears to be a new tab for related apps. However I did notice that it also exists on my Galaxy S so I am not sure if this was an HTC or generic Android Market update.

There has been some speculation that some changes were made to prepare the Desire for the Gingerbread update but this has not been confirmed. If this is true then I am looking forward to getting what should be like a totally new phone when the Gingerbread 2.3 update arrives for the Desire. After all, it should include the HTC Sense update as well.

In summary, I have observed nothing but positive objective and subjective improvements on my Desire. It remains to be my main phone despite the arrival of the Desire Z and the Galaxy S. It is no wonder that despite the presence of the Desire HD and the Iphone 4, the original Desire remains Tech Radars choice for the best phone in the world.

We at JAC Tech agree 100% with that choice.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your comments on the post.

Android and Me

Android Tapp

TechRadar: All latest feeds

GSMArena.com - Latest articles

GigaOM — Tech News, Analysis and Trends

Android Phone Fans

Phone Scoop - Latest News

IntoMobile - Cell Phone News, Information, and Analysis

MobileBurn.com

All About Symbian - News

Engadget

Gizmodo