AnandTech Article Channel

Saturday, June 6, 2009

First post and links related to my P1i

What is this blog all about?

Well, this blog will be updated with all things tech that I encounter in my daily forays on the web.

Bookmarks just don't cut it and sometimes I'd like to access my data from remote so putting it on a blog I can access from anywhere seems like the perfect idea now.

A side benefit is that I get to give back to the community whenever someone benefits from the links and commentaries made here.

And that after all is really the essence of the World Wide Web.



So today, I've been surfing all over trying to get some stuff to setup my newly acquired P1i.

Yes the post date is correct, its June 6, 2009. And yes the P1i was released around July 2007 and some would say (though I disagree) is an obsolete model.

But obsolescence to me is dictated not by age or features but by how well the device can fulfill the users needs. I certainly would love to have the latest and the greatest but as an old teacher of mine liked to say, "make the most of what you have" And one question I kept asking myself was "what do you need it for" and "will you use".

Let me say just a little bit about the P1i.

I turned over my hardly used P990i to my son and this is the replacement. Actually prior to this I was pining for a Nokia E71 but the price is still prohibitive for me at 16K to 18K. It took a lot of soul searching on my part, a lot of research and a honest inventory of what I need, what I have and what I can afford.

I came from the P800, then acquired a Palm Lifedrive, after which I got the P990i. The P800 is with my youngest son, while my eldest has my P990i and I still have my Lifedrive.

My primary reasons for wanting the E71 was the HSDPA access and the PDA functions and the GPS. The HSDPA was the primary thing as I just got a Sun Broadband Wireless and I wanted to be able to write and work from remote.

However I just got a free phone from Sun, the Nokia 6120 classic which has HSDPA too and since at that point I had a non existent budget, I decided to try hooking up my lifedrive with the 6120 and was able to get it to work after a few minutes of tinkering.

Imagine my elation at this point! I have a free keyboard for the Lifedrive and so I had a much more competent setup for remote working. I had a bigger screen and it was touchscreen at that!

Now since I don't work on remote that often, I decided maybe I should just get a cheap second hand smartphone so my candidates were the P1i, E61i and the Samsung i607. You see my budget was absolutely topped out at P8K.

So it was a serendipitous event for me when I saw this P1i with complete accessories selling for just under my budget. And how lucky can I be, there was a "buy it now" button so I proceeded to buy it. There were some problems with the phone which were accidentally overlooked by the seller but he was so quick to rectify the situation by offering a rebate so now I'm very happy to be the new owner of a pre-loved P1i.

So without further ado, here are the links I followed today.

Walkman 3 for the P1i

Symbian Developer Network

Skype etc for the P1i

The Symbians

E-buddy

IP Mart Forum -

Sony Ericsson P1i Blog - Excellent source of info about the P1i


Sony Ericsson Philippines


The Sony Ericsson Satio aka Idou Page on GSM Arena






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your comments on the post.

Android and Me

Android Tapp

TechRadar: All latest feeds

GSMArena.com - Latest articles

GigaOM — Tech News, Analysis and Trends

Android Phone Fans

Phone Scoop - Latest News

IntoMobile - Cell Phone News, Information, and Analysis

MobileBurn.com

All About Symbian - News

Engadget

Gizmodo